Saturday, May 28, 2011

SMR in Berlin Day Two

Sonrise Mountain Revival Berlin Project
Day Two
By Kristin Gaffney

            My roommate woke me up at nine o’clock and it took me almost twenty minutes to understand what she meant.  Thankfully that was the worst point of the whole day.
            The rest was incredible!
            First, we had breakfast, with three kinds of extremely delicious bread, incredible hardboiled eggs, several things which I had no clue what they were, although I did try a German yogurt and learned that they’re super super sweet and I didn’t like it.
            Randy took us all out on a little walk, even Rich was able to go along.  We saw a beautiful German lake and learned an interesting fact.  The lake was featured in an episode of Lake Monsters!  We learned the fact too late to save half of us and the rest only escaped to be placed in a hospital… just kidding.
            Anyways, afterward we went to a German market and saw a few little boys playing by a fountain, I think that was the first time I saw children playing.  And we really got another taste of the culture as we walked around a German market, bought a few items, and had fresh strawberries which were the most delicious strawberries that ever existed!!!  Well, I was hungry.  We took another train and passed by the place where Randy and his family lived when they were in Germany and then we got lunch.
            Lunch was awesome!  (I realize that most of what I’m talking about was food, but it was memorable.)  We got these lamb meat, salad mix, GIGANTIC sandwiches and all tried to eat the whole thing.  It was great and if Mike has his way we will be eating that every day!  I wouldn’t mind…
            We walked and took a few trains back to the hotel where we’re staying.  Then it was time to put on nice shoes, pick up our instruments and away we went to the concert.  The church was gorgeous (eventually I think we’re getting pictures, my camera’s spastic but Leanna and Ashley are taking plenty to compensate) and the people were super nice.  We did sound check, which took an extremely long time, and tried to get the slides up.
            And oh… the slides didn’t come up until after three songs and then didn’t come up correctly and was missing an entire song but… well… I’m a bit sensitive about that because slides are my job, but it was a comedy of errors that weren’t all mine.
            But despite my abysmal failure, the concert was wonderful!  Everyone sang great and there were over a hundred fifty people there (we just had a game guessing, I said fifty, Leanna a hundred, someone else one fifty, and then we found out it was about one hundred fifty.  So I should never play guessing games. Yikes).  Most of the people were unchurched from the community.  All the people loved it and thirteen people asked for the sinner’s prayer pamphlet that the Pastor of the church we were working with, after he presented the Gospel, announced he was giving out for those who wanted to pray for salvation!  God was really using us to His glory!  The pastor is Aaron Bowes, and he is great.  He will be helping us all week and is sponsoring two more outreach concerts.
            However, I thought we played and sang better on the train ride back to the hotel.  We had violin, mandolin, guitar, banjo, and even bass!  The people riding the train loved it!  It was so good and even I sang along.  People asked about our group, they were smiling, some stayed on longer to hear us play, and so we all realized it was fun and decided to organize a little music stunt on the trains sometime during the week which you’ll hear about when the time comes.
            All in all, good night, guten nicht, and have a nice dinner for those of you in New Jersey who eat at 6:30.  We’ll be asleep and getting ready for three (yes, THREE) worship service/concerts tomorrow.  Wish us luck or viel gluk (I don’t think that’s right, but okay), or even better, pray that God uses us for His glory again tomorrow.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment